• 1/2 pound haricots verts (thin French green beans) or regular green beans
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves (wash and dry before chopping)
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
Trim regular green beans if using and in a large saucepan of boiling salted water cook beans until crisp-tender (2 minutes for haricots verts or 3 to 4 minutes for regular green beans) and drain in a colander.
In a bowl toss beans with lemon juice, parsley, lemon zest, and pepper and season with salt.