Part Time Field / Harvest / Market Help
20-30 hours, 4 days / week
Compensation TBD upon completion of application and follow-up interview.
This is a seasonal position, running from late April/early May until the end of the season, which is usually late October/early November. Although the work is physically demanding, we still have a lot of fun! Great friendships are formed while playing in the dirt!
We start farming as soon as the weather warms up. It is not always possible to predict when that is, so these are approximate dates.
- Some experience in small scale intensive organic vegetable farming is a plus
- Ability to do hard physical work under varying weather conditions
- The work requires repeated bending, lifting, kneeling, and lots of standing. We do everything by hand without the use of heavy machinery: wheelbarrows, broadforks, wheel hoes, various rakes and shovels, harvest tubs, buckets, and other hand tools get the work done. You must be able to lift heavy veggie tubs and boxes.
- Flexible, and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and pride in a job well done
- There is a lot of precision and repetition in farm work; you need to be good with that AND good at it.
- Good communication skills
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Positive attitude
- No drama
- Bed prep and cultivation
- Direct Seeding
- Weed management
- Organic fertilization
- Processing (washing, packing)
- You will have the opportunity to help set up the display and work at our weekly Thursday farm stand.
How to Apply
Please submit the form below with the requested information to apply. Alternately, you can send the information to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email introduce yourself (briefly), and tell me what your favorite vegetable is!
If emailing, please attach the following items to that email:
- A one page letter of interest describing your interest in the position, why you want to farm, as well as why you are interested in working at Lady Kate’s Garden and think we are a good fit.
- Your resume. Be sure to include all relevant work experience.
- A letter of recommendation if available